Since it was first launched in the Philippines in 2014, the EcoSport has become a familiar sight on city streets across the country, having gained wide appeal for its unbeatable combination of agility, affordability, and fuel efficiency coupled with the ground clearance (209mm), flexibility, and spaciousness of an SUV.
With the EcoSport, Ford pioneered the mini-SUV segment and led it over the last four years, including a nearly 50 percent share in 2017.
“The Ford EcoSport is an SUV in a league of its own—combining quality design, rugged capability, best-in-class features, superior fuel economy, and great value for money, all into a single and fun vehicle,” shares Bert Lessard, managing director, Ford Philippines.
So what are the new things to find in the new EcoSport?
1. There is a new flagship model—and it’s the one with the smaller engine. But it’s the award-winning turbocharged 1.0-liter three-cylinder EcoBoost engine (with direct-injection variable valve timing) from the Ford Fiesta. The 1.0L Titanium’s 125 horses beat the other variants’ engine (a 1.5-liter with Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (TiVCT), which produces 123.
2. Both engines are mated to a new six-speed automatic transmission, closing the chapter on the previous dual-clutch PowerShift transmission. A five-speed manual is available on the two lower end variants.
3. Auto start/stop technology, which turns off the engine instead of letting it idle at traffic lights, as well as push-button engine start/stop, are now standard on the 1.0-L Titanium model.
4. As facelifts go, the front end’s is quite extensive: There’s a new hood, new headlamps, new grille, new bumper and new foglamps.
5. There are new 17-inch alloy wheels for all but the base level, which uses 16-inch steel rims.
6. There is a completely new dashboard. The Titanium variant sports a more stylish design and features a leather-covered dashboard, power sunroof, and an 8-inch multicolor touchscreen with a redesigned interface and intuitive smartphone-like actions. The Trend and Ambiente variants are equipped with a 9-inch touchscreen display.
7. The new EcoSport features added smart storage spaces. It can handle a load of up to 1,178 liters, with 25 smart storage compartments for coffee cups, smartphones, tablets, umbrellas, bottles and other accessories.
8. There is also a new center console with a sliding armrest and an integrated storage bin. The Titanium adds a retractable armrest with cupholders in the back seat.
9. Ford’s baby crossover is equipped with multiple smart and Driver Assistance Technologies that make driving safer and more convenient. These include the Rear View Camera with Rear Parking Assist, Automatic Rain-Sensing Wipers, Automatic Headlights, and Smart Keyless Entry, which lets you start the car with the keys in your pocket or handbag. No more fumbling for your keys.
10. The new EcoSport is also powered by SYNC 3 with Navigation that allows drivers to keep their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel while staying connected. SYNC 3 features voice control for the entertainment system and the driver’s calls and text messages. The AppLink 3.0 feature on SYNC 3 also allows passengers to use their favorite smartphone applications via the car’s touchscreen.
11. The new Titanium variant now boasts a seven-speaker audio system.
12. The new EcoSport also comes with a slew of safety features including Hill-Start Assist Control, Electronic Brake-force Distribution System, Electronic Stability Program and Anti-Locking Brake System, and six airbags in the Titanium variant.
“The new EcoSport retains the strengths of its predecessor while introducing a number of new and exciting features. Its trendier design and sophisticated interior, smart technologies, and the addition of the EcoBoost engine will deliver a more enhanced driving experience. We are excited for Filipino customers to get their hands on the new EcoSport and see for themselves why it’s a street smart vehicle perfect for urban driving,” said Rodel Gallega, vice president, Marketing and Sales, Ford Philippines.
The new EcoSport will be available in four variants with the following price points:
- 1.0L EcoBoost Titanium AT at P1,168,000
- 1.5L Trend AT at P1,028,000
- 1.5L Trend MT at P968,000
- 1.5L Ambiente MT at P918,000
The new EcoSport comes in six colors: Absolute Black, Ingot Silver, Crystal White, Ruby Red (Trend and Titanium variants only), Canyon Ridge (Titanium variant only), and Blue Lightning (Titanium variant only).
Customers can test drive the new EcoSport from August 31 to September 2 at the Ford Island Conquest Year 2 happening at the Big Bear Oval in Bonifacio High Street, Bonifacio Global City.