With the new Star Wars movie almost upon us, marketing efforts for the film are at an all-time high. Google’s jumping on the bandwagon (or TIE Fighter or X-wing) with its new collaboration with Disney called “Awaken The Force Within.”
Not only are some of your favorite Google apps getting a Star Wars: The Force Awakens makeover, there’s also going to be a chance to see them Millennium Falcon in its virtual reality glory (get those Google Cardboards ready) and whole lot of other special treats and easter eggs for fans of the franchise (including a Chrome Experiment).
What can we expect to change? Google gave us a cheat sheet of what to expect from their different services:
- A light side (blue) or dark side (red) lightsaber will replace the standard loading bar.
- Your Gmail inbox background will transform and display light or dark side images, reflecting your chosen side.
- Set your course for the Hoth system… or maybe somewhere closer to home?
- Navigate to your destination with the help of a TIE fighter or X-wing.
- Pegman, that little orange guy that tells you where you are in Google Maps, takes on a new form as a First Order Stormtrooper or Resistance Pilot.
- Light or dark side icons will replace the standard Maps home & work (briefcase) icons.
- Beautiful Chrome browser background imagery via a custom Chrome extension, greeting you with a new image every time you open a new tab. More gorgeous than a binary sunset on Tatooine.
- Light or dark side lightsaber transforms your seeker bar, loading bar and volume control.
- Not so long from now, in a galaxy not so far away…. Key movie milestones added to your calendar, tailored to your chosen side.
Chromecast Backdrop Collection
- An epic collection of current and legacy Star Wars images for the biggest screen in your home when your Chromecast is on ambient mode.
- Now cards automatically appear in your feed with “this day in Star Wars history” fun facts.
- The best app for making the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs!
- Drive with C-3PO as your audio guide to find R2-D2 and BB-8 (definitely the droids you’re looking for!). Be rewarded with Star Wars-themed road goodies.
Android Wear Watch Face
- When it comes to what’s on your wrist, channel you inner-Lando and extend the Star Wars experience to your Android Wear watch. Featuring an interactive watch face, get the time, date, weather, and daily Star Wars factoids right on your wrist. (Requires the Star Wars app, available on Google Play.)
- Like having your very own protocol droid fluent in over (in the case of Google Translate) 90 forms of communication, a certain galactic language is now available so you can communicate across the galaxy.